All you need to know before planning a trip to MombasaJanuary 23, 2023
Mombasa – Travel Guide 2023January 23, 2023
Mombasa is one of the most stunning regions in Kenya and in East Africa. A heaven for travel lovers, it is a must-see location as it offers scenic views, a rich history, and top rated attractions. Here is a guide that can help you plan your leisure trip to Mombasa!
Mombasa has an international Airport so you can fly there directly. If you want to travel by land, you can take a train or a local bus from any popular location in Kenya.
Mombasa has a tropical climate with hot and humid weather year-round. The best time to visit is from June to September during the dry season. The weather is sunny and pleasant and your trip will not be interrupted by heavy rains and storms, and animal watching will be excellent.
Here are some of the best locations that every traveler must see during a vacation in Mombasa!
- Jumba la Mtwana Ruins are the remains of the small Swahili town that was deserted around 500 years ago. The village is home to ancient structures, a mosque, and archeological relics.
- Shimba hills is one of the largest coastal forests in East Africa. Rich in flora and fauna, it is home to animals such as the African elephant, Sable antelope, elephant shrew, and bushy tailed mongoose, as well as birds such as fruit bats, Spurfowl, and Zanzibar Red Bishop.
- The ruins of Gede include ancient mosques, and a palace, all made from stone with stone pillars. Tourists can also find earth and thatch houses. The site offers amazing archeological history of the region, and has been recognized as a Historical Monument since 1927.
- Mombasa has beautiful sandy beaches and is an excellent destination for sunbathing, swimming, snorkeling, boating, jet skiing, camel rides, diving and other beach activities such as picnics. Some famous beaches in Mombasa include Nyali Beach, Bamburi beach and Diani Beach. Visitors can explore the vibrant coral reefs and see a wide range of marine life.
- The old town is a historic district with narrow streets, colorful houses, and vibrant markets. Fort Jesus is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and a popular tourist attraction in Mombasa.
- Rich marketplaces such as Kibokoni Market and the Makupa Causeway Market are a must-see location as visitors can buy handmade crafts, fresh produce, clothes, and spices.
- Mamba Village center is the largest crocodile farm in Africa, as it is home to around 1000 crocodiles. Here, one can see Big Daddy, the largest Crocodile in Mamba Village, that is over 100 years old and weighs around 800kgs! Tourists can also enjoy horse riding, or a tour of a botanical garden or a great aquarium.
Mombasa has a wide range of delicious local cuisine, and trying local food is a great way to get a taste of the city's culture. Tourists can enjoy Swahili dishes which offer a blend of African, Arab, and Indian flavors. Here are some of the top-rated restaurants of the region.
- At Ali Barbour’s Cave Restaurant, tourists can dine under the stars in an exotic cave. The international cuisine is mouthwatering and tourists can enjoy seafood delicacies!.
- At Porini Boko Boko Seychelloise Restaurant, travelers can experience the authentic taste of African cuisine in a warm and peaceful atmosphere.
- Cafesserie is a small cafe that offers a variety of delicious Italian dishes such as sandwiches, salads, burgers, pasta, pizza, and pastries, as well as freshly brewed coffee, or tea!
- Fisherman’s Cave Restaurant offers seafood right at the oceanfront, with a spectacular view of the sea. The restaurant resembles a cave and offers fresh seafood, and continental dishes.
Staying at a comfortable and luxurious hotel is essential during a leisure trip to Mombasa.
- Serena Beach Resort & Spa offers free Wi-Fi, excellent breakfast, a pool, a spa, and amazing access to the beachfront. Located at Shanzu beach, it is a top-rated hotel in Mombasa.
- Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa is a great option as tourists can relax at Cocos Beach Bar, enjoy a day at the beach, or get soothing treatments at the Tulia Spa.
- Bamburi Beach Hotel offers spectacular service, and amazing facilities such as free Wi-Fi, a pool, access to the beach, a game room, a restaurant, a bar, and complimentary breakfast!
- PrideInn Flamingo Beach Resort & Spa is another top-rated hotel in the region.