Top 7 Excursions and Day Trips in Dar es SalaamDecember 28, 2018
Day Trip to Lake Manyara National ParkJanuary 28, 2019
The beautiful East African country of Tanzania has so many great destinations for a road trip. Here are some of the best.
- Udzungwa National Park- grab an off-roader and head to this park known as much for its landscape as its animals. This is an adventure trip, make no mistake. A must-see is the Sanje Waterfalls where you can swim and recharge for more off-roading.
- Pemba Island- you can’t technically do a road trip here to an island, but you should make a trip nonetheless. You’ll find on Pemba the beach in the Zanzibar archipelago. The island is renowned for great corals, a thriving aquatic life and some marine past times, including snorkelling and diving.
- Mount Kilimanjaro- the world’s largest free-standing mountain is yours for the walking. Do a road trip with a difference and walk up this mountain. It doesn’t require any special technical skills, but is a multi-day hike with altitude to contend with, and that doesn’t make it easy. You can do it in under a week, with some fitness and a whole lot of determination.
- Selous Game Reserve- the biggest faunal reserve in the entire world makes for a great road trip destination. Five thousand square kilometres with two thousand types of plants, reptiles, wildlife and 350 types of birds. This is a trip you absolutely have to make. Relax in the well-appointed lodges or camp on the reserve for that wild experience.
- Olduvai Gorge- the gorge is an essential step in the understanding of palaeontology and anthropology. You’ll have to head to Northern Tanzania, to the Ngorongoro Conservation Area. Immerse yourself in this biological and historical space. Once there, you’ll understand the sheer scale of evolution-about 2 million years in the making.
- Level 8- it’s not only about history and wildlife in Tanzania. If you want to enjoy the nightlife, drive down to the rooftop bar at the Hyatt in Dar es Salaam. Level 8 is popular for great food, fabulous harbour views, interesting cocktails and that throbbing party vibe. Unwind in style at this place.
- Serengeti- how can one visit Tanzania and not go to Serengeti? The quintessential safari park, Serengeti is the place to be in during the migration of countless wildebeest and zebra. Do make sure you’re there between December and June. But truly, any time is a good time.
- Ngorongoro Conservation Area- staying with iconic, this road trip destination is absolutely spectacular for wildlife. Once here, look for the Big 5- Elephant, Lion, Rhinoceros, Leopard, and Cape Buffalo. The volcanic crater is also something to experience.
- Kikuletwa Hotsprings- you’ll have to make it to Moshi and then drive down to the springs. The road is rugged, but that’s what adventure is all about. The springs are an iridescent turquoise, fed from the underground. Jump off the nylon rope you’ll find in the fig tree and swim into these waters. There’s nothing hot about them- it’s called that because it bubbles up to the surface.
- Zanzibar Fort- head to Stone Town, another historical site, and explore the Old Fort, one of the oldest buildings in the town. Entry is free and this is a trip you must make.