Mombasa is famous for its beautiful white sand beaches, rich history, and diverse culture. The city is situated on the stunning coast of East Africa, where tourists can enjoy scenic views of the Indian ocean. Mombasa is a popular tourist destination with diverse activities and attractions for visitors. If you are thinking of going to Mombasa and to make the most of your trip, here is all that you need to know!
Mombasa has an international Airport so you can fly there directly. If you want to travel by land, you can take a train or a local bus from any popular location in Kenya.
Within the city, you will have numerous transportation opportunities. You can take cabs, buses, and the local tuk-tuk, small, open-air vehicles, which are more affordable.
Before you get here, you should get some vaccinations to protect yourself from viruses and diseases. It is crucial to make sure you are up to date on all vaccinations advised for travel to Kenya, particularly those for malaria and yellow fever. You should also carry a mosquito repellant and try covering yourself as much as possible to avoid mosquito bites. Carrying bottled water is also a good idea as tap water is not suitable for drinking.
There are various hotels in Mombasa and selecting the right hotel will depend upon your preferences and budget. Here are some top rated hotels of the country!
- Tamarind Dhow Beach Hotel is a beachfront hotel that offers comfortable and luxurious rooms and suites, a pool, a spa, and several amazing dining options.
- The PrideInn Paradise Beach Resort is situated on Nyali Beach, has a selection of lodging choices, and offers a spa, pools, and a selection of restaurants.
- Sarova Whitesands Beach Resort & Spa is located on the beachfront and provides a variety of amenities like multiple pools, a spa, and many dining options.
- Reef Hotel boasts various pools, a spa, and a variety of culinary options in addition to a variety of lodging options, including rooms and suites.
- Coral Key Beach Resort is a resort in Nyali situated on the beach, including rooms, villas, and apartments. It also has a pool, a spa, and several dining options.
Mombasa boasts a wide variety of delicious regional cuisine, and sampling local cuisine is an excellent way to experience the local way of life. Swahili cuisine, a fusion of African, Arab, and Indian flavors, Indian food, and Chinese food must be tried by travel lovers. Mombasa has a range of restaurants offering local and international dishes such as Arabic, Lebanese, Swahili, Indian, Chinese, and Thai. Here are some top eateries!
- Sails is located at the oceanfront giving great views. It serves a wide range of seafood but offers steaks and other dishes.
- Nyama Mama serves excellent food and is famous for its grilled meat.
- The Orchid is a popular restaurant located in the heart of the city, serving local and international dishes. The food is mouth-watering and cooked by experts.
- The Tamarind is a seafood restaurant, known for its fresh, high-quality dishes and beautiful ocean views that tourists can enjoy while eating.
- The Dhow, located on the oceanfront, is famous for its grilled lobster and octopus.
Mombasa is an ethnically diverse city with a rich history. Since it is also located on the seaside, Mombasa offers you a wide range of activities.
- You can stroll through the old town of Mombasa and learn about the rich cultural, archeological, and colonial history of the region. Other top locations include the Museum, Gede Ruins, and Fort Jesus, which is a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- At beaches, tourists can sunbathe, swim, and engage in exciting beach activities such as scuba diving, kitesurfing, jet skiing, and boating. While snorkeling, tourists can see the colorful coral reef and spectacular marine life. Top beaches include Nyali Beach, Gazi Beach, Bamburi Beach and Diani Beach.
- A number of national parks and animal refuges are close to Mombasa. These safaris allow guests to observe a variety of creatures, such as lions, elephants, and giraffes, among others. Shimba Hill Reserve is a top rated location to visit. Tourists can go on such safaris and explore the African savannah and wildlife in its full glory. At Mamba Village Centre, they can find huge numbers of crocodiles.
- You may also visit thriving markets like Kibokoni Market and the Makupa Causeway Market, to buy spices, handcrafted goods, and trinkets.